Monday, July 25, 2005

Murphy's Law can suck it.

So, on Sunday I found out my Dad broke both of his arms. I know, ouch. The poor guy is in two cast up past his elbows. And really, is this how old my parents are now? I don't mean that in a ha ha you're over the hill way, but in more of an Oh-My-GOD-My-Parents-Aren't-Going-To-Be-Here-Forever kind of way. I've been blessed with four parents (that's right count 'em. FOUR!) and so help me if any of you "go away" I will hunt you down in the afterlife and kick you square in the rear.

Side note: For all parties involved, a trip to the ER equals a phone call. And you must be truthful, no sugar coating. Yeah, I'm talking to you.

And my parents aren't even that old. They're all around their 50s. (Sorry, mom) And they're all still super active. Heck, my impression of people in their 50s is drinking martinis while watching the Lawrence Welk Show. But that ain't them. My Dad and Jen are runners and outdoor enthusiasts, like hiking up huge mountains outdoor enthusiasts. My Mom and Marvin are biking fools, like across the state of Missouri biking fools. (clearly their athletic prowess didn't rub off on me) So this came as quite a shock to me. And you know what? I'm Pissed.

Pissed because this is the poo poo-iest of timing. My Dad has been planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park for like a year. A YEAR. And I can't even pay my bills on time. (once again clearly did not inherit his organizational skills) He was so looking forward to it. I was looking forward to him going too. The whole fam was going to be there. And now it's all up in the air. This is the guy who taught me to love nature. he lives for this kind of stuff. When I was younger he literally dragged me up a mountain kicking and screaming. Literally. I can be such a brat sometimes. But it didn't phase him any, and with dried tears and snot caked to my face he snapped a picture. He said because eventually I would want to remember the first mountain I climbed. And of course he was right because parents can be like that sometimes. Now that picture is framed in his living room, and each time I look at it I silently say, thanks for everything Dad. (This mountain was 3000 feet taller than the first mountain Todd climbed. Take that, Tawd)

So, now we're waiting for news from the doctor. And it better be good news or I will kick him/her square in the rear.

I spit on you bad timing, pfft.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tweets for the nice compliments. I remember the mt. cimb different. you were just a bit nervous with some watery eyes. I was proud to see you make up there despite your fear. plus maybe your pops should have been brought up on child endangerment charges.
About Yellowstone, as long as I can walk, I'll be going.