Monday, June 29, 2009

More moments

1. It gets dark early now. A constant companion of emptiness. Every night I crawl into bed and try to not let it wash over me. The feeling and urge to be loved. To be held. To be noticed. But I am powerless. It can take my breath away. But it’s comforting. I am still here. I can still feel. And it hurts. I close my eyes on another day with a plea that it won't last. Oh, how I wish you would call.

2. This time things progress at a normal pace, instead of awkward and rushed like before. But there’s still no romance. I enjoy being around him. I feel like I can be myself, or at least that’s the Hallmark answer I’m trying to convince my head of. I don’t have to be someone I’m not. I say dumb things and don’t care. I watch him eat the dinner I made, and I smile. He laughs and asks what? Afterwards, we lie there and talk. Like us, the conversation is stripped and bare. I can hear the traffic outside. He finally looks at me. I want to tell him that he should leave, but I don’t because he already knows. After he leaves the room smells of longing and peaches.

3. We both wake up foggy and hungover. I ask for some water and you get up to get me some. You take a sip before handing me the glass. You lay back down in the bed with me, and put your head on my belly. We sit there quietly for a few minutes. I run my fingers through your hair. You look up and tell me that I am so pretty. In that one moment, everything that was once broken in my life is fixed. I don’t tell you that this is what I am thinking about when you ask me seven months later. In fact, I never answer your question instead I just smile. I realize I have never been happier. I immediately fear losing that feeling forever. “Just Like Heaven” is playing on the car radio. Now, I wish I had told you what I was really thinking.

4. We stumble home from another raucous night out. We turn the key to the apartment and walk in. I’m giggling about nothing in particular. We don’t turn on the lights. We just sit in the kitchen and eat ice cream. Suddenly, you begin pouring out your emotions to me. You’re crying. I want to rush to you, and hold you to tell you everything will be okay. Like you have done for me so many times before. The lights from outside are reflecting off the pool causing big waves of pale blue light to dance across the ceiling. You have never looked more beautiful, or more real. I go to and wrap my arms around you. Cradle your face in my hands. You go tense. I know this has made you feel weak. You will never let me see you weak. You will never let me in. You pull away from me and angrily swipe your tears away, and tell me you’re being stupid. You go fall asleep on the couch. I have never felt more apart from you.

No comments: