Friday, May 04, 2007

Hey look! It's an Adult!

I like to say that I am running at about 48% Responsible Adult, meaning I almost there, but not quite. The number comes from the fact that although I am 28 years old I still don’t act like an adult.

For example:

  • I don’t have a regular laundry schedule
  • I still don’t like broccoli.
  • I put way too much on my credit cards each month.
  • I eat too much candy.
  • Owning a house might be a possibility for me sometime in the year 2042.
  • I’m over involved in the lives of people on reality TV shows.
  • I don’t remember other people’s birthdays, but expect everyone to remember mine.
  • I don’t have a 401k, nor do I have any clue what a Roth IRA is.
  • According to the amount of money in my savings account, I’m saving for the future purchases of 4 Snickers bars and an Us Weekly.
  • There’s no toilet paper on the roll.

And the list could go on and on. I’m not very happy about being only a 48% Responsible Adult. And trust me, I have all these big plans to eventually become a 100% Responsible Adult, but the current 48% means that I am clearly in no rush, or that I even know what a Responsible Adult is—and oh, look America’s Next Top Model is on.

So now each day I have decided to try to do something new that will boost my Responsible Adult-ness. In fact today, while at the Coke machine I had this brilliant internal dialogue:

“Oh no, I can’t get my third Coke for the day, people will think I am weird. Well, weirder than they already think I am. Oooh, I know I’ll get a V8. Because that’s what an adult would do.”

So I got my V8, and gloated all the way back to my desk thinking to myself:

“Look at me, I am so healthy and SUCH an adult. Next thing you know I will be drinking sparkling water.”

And you know what? V8 tastes awful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment but it never showed up. I said that the savings to buy the Snickers and US Weekly was my favorite part and that I had blowouts reading the entire thing. :) I miss you... sheesh.

DP said...

Damn. We're at three Cokes a day, are we? Might as well start snorting that shit, Tweets. :) Glad you finally made it to Chi-town. You'll have to fill me in.